My name is Sotirios A. Tsaftaris but most people call me Sotos (in Greek Σωτήριος Α. Τσαυτάρης or Σώτος). I am currently with the University of Edinburgh and the Insitute of Digital Communications as a Chancellor's Fellow at a Senior Lecturer grade.
My research interests are machine learning, medical image analysis (medical image computing), image processing, and distributed computing. Core research application domains are computer aided diagnosis in medicine and phenotyping.
Within my web pages, you will find an extended Biography and CV, descriptions of my various research interests as well as a list of publications. At Edinburgh I am teaching in 2016 "Signals and Communications Systems 3". In 2017, I will start also teaching a MSc Level course on "Machine Learning and Signal Processing". At IMT I taught "Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition" and "Large Scale Image Analysis".
Recent key news
- Always looking for talented PhD students and Postdocs:I am always interested in growing the team. If you have a strong profile please email me and attach a CV.
PostDoc Position: I have an opening for a PostDoc to be filled immediately on medical image computing and machine learning. See here for information on how to apply. Closing Date Friday 20th May 2016 at 5pm (GMT) Looking for PhD Student: I am looking for a PhD student to work on medical imaging and machine learning, particularly multimodality image segmentation. I am looking for someone to start in the Fall 2016. For project description click here. Alternatively see posting on findaphd.com or at The University of Edinburgh. Helpful information on how to apply is available here.
- Call for PapersTogether with Professors Frangi (Sheffield) and Prince (John Hopkins) I am guest editing a special issue on Simulation and Synthesis in Medical Imaging for IEEE Transactions In Medical Imaging.
- Together with Professors Frangi (Sheffield) and Prince (John Hopkins) I am organizing SASHIMI a MICCAI 2016 workshop on Simulation and Synthesis in Medical Imaging (SASHIMI).
- Call for Papers Together with several colleagues, I am co-editing an interesting joint special issue between Digital Signal Processing and SoftwareX on Reproducible Research in Signal Processing.
- After 5 years in the making, 8 if you count from the start of writing the proposal, finally Phenotiki our affordable plant phenotyping solution is now available.
- Quoted in article of El Espanol (In Spanish) on the future of DNA storage (my PhD work) as commentary on a recent study by colleagues at Univ. of Washington and Microsoft Research. [PDF copy of the news article].
- Joined the University of Edinburgh and IDCOM as a Senior Lecturer (US Associate Professor) under the prestigious Chancellor's Fellow program.
- I co-organized the 2nd CVPPP workshop together with Scharr and Pridmore @ BMVC
- The past year, we have published a lot: 5 journals (IEEE TMI, PRL, MVA), 11 conferences (MICCAI, BMVC), and a book chapter. A very productive year indeed, congratulations and thanks to my team.
- My PhD student, Massimo Minervini successfully defended his PhD (July 2015) on application-aware image compression. Congratulations Doctor!
- Together with Drs Scharr, Dee, French we are editing a special issue on Computer Vision for Plant Phenotyping @ MVA
- I joined the editorial board of Digital Signal Processing Journal (Aug-2014)
- Paper in IEEE Trans. Medical Imaging (TMI) on modelling cardiovascular BOLD MRI. Congrats to all PRIAn people! (10-Mar-2014)
- I co-organized (together with Dr. Scharr from Juelich) a workshop on computer vision problems in plant phenotyping, held in Zurich, September 2014 in conjunction with ECCV 2014. (Sep-2014)
- ISMRM @ Milan, 2014: We presented 3 abstracts at ISMRM. Congrats to all PRIAn people! (10-Feb-2014)
- I and Prof. Dharmakumar have been awarded an R01 grant from NIH and NHLBI for the work entitled “Reliable Evaluation of Coronary Artery Disease using Myocardial BOLD MRI with CO2”. (15-Oct-2013)